Friday, July 21, 2006

big rats and cute babies

Okay, so for some reason I haven't been able to view my blog all week, but I seem to be able to post, so I will just go ahead and do that and trust that the rest of you can access it, since you seem to be able to. Probably some crazy Indian internet thing. God bless the third world.

We have finished the bulk of our surveying. We surveyed 60 different borrower groups; anywhere from 4 to 10 borrowers per group were surveyed. Our sample size is already above 400, and we'll do a little more surveying next week. The lack of bias in our sample is certainly questionable, but at least we have a really big sample (big for a student project, anyway). And again, my mantra: we're learning so much. Going to the group meetings has been mostly lots of fun; the women often seem vaguely amused by or in awe of you because you are a white American. At one meeting they gave me a bindi and some flowers for my hair, and many of the groups have been inexplicably excited to have their picture taken with me. Here is me holding a particularly adorable baby (at the meeting after the one where they gave me the bindi):


Next week, we will have just one group of enumerators out surveying, while the rest of them stay at the IMED office and translate some of IMED's records from Tamil into English for us.

One thing I haven't posted pictures of (or even taken pictures of) is where we live: Broadlands Lodge. It's not all that nice, but it is a very old building with lots of charm, and our room is large and has a nice patio area in back. We meet cool people there and we generally like it.

Last night, I was in bed, listening to my ipod, and M was out on the patio reading. She had one small light on out on the patio, and a small light in our room was on, but otherwise it was quiet and relatively dark. Muffled by my headphones, I hear what sounds like some sort of whooping noise. I ignore it, because India is as full of noise as it is of garbage, so you learn to tune it out. But then I hear it again, accompanied by what sounds like someone saying my name. I sit up and discover that M is standing on her chair on the patio, yelling for me. Apparently, she felt something around the toes of one of her feet; there are always flies and mosquitos and random phantom itches, so at first she just moved her foot somewhat mindlessly. At this point, she saw what she described as an enormous rat's ass followed by a very long rat's tail scurrying under the opposite chair and into the darkness. She wanted me to check to make sure the rat was gone before she got off the chair. It was gone, of course, with all the screaming and with me making whatever freaked-out noises I was making as I peered cowardishly around the corner to look for the rat (I know "cowardishly" probably isn't a word, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make "cowardly" into an adverb).

We were aware of the presence of this enormous rat on the premises (I haven't really seen it, but I did catch it out of the corner of my eye once, and it appeared to be the size of a small beaver), but it usually stays away from light and noise. There are also cats that live at Broadlands (a male and female cat, who have four adorable kittens), but I think the rat is bigger than the cats are. I did see one of the cats with a very large mouse (or a normal sized rat, I suppose) in it's mouth.

So, yeah. The rodents creep me out, but not as much as I might expect. And happily, I haven't seen any cockroaches in our room, which would actually freak me out more, because I assume a cockroach is way more likely to climb up the side of your bed than a rat.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer "coward-like." It sounds archaic and quaint, no?

As in:
"I peered, coward-like, around the corner
to look for the rat."

or:
"I peered around the corner, coward-like,
to look for the rat."

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasn't a pole cat? There bodies are like rubber.

Anonymous said...

P.S. - how about "sheepishly"?

Anonymous said...

OMG... "Their". Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Rats, roaches,
and...
lizards?
we have all here in the RP...

jenn said...

nathan--i agree, there is a certain charm to "coward-like". i almost want to go back and edit the sentence, but that might be taking my blog a little too seriously.

jenn said...

rebel--LOL...but if it were a polecat it would have peed on something. and "sheepish" is more embarassed or chastened than cowardly, at least as far as i understand the definition of the word.

jenn said...

hongy--yeah, we have lizards too, lots of them, but we like them because they eat bugs.

Anonymous said...

But, Jenn, 'cowardly' is an adverb....

jenn said...

okay, whoever you are, i admit humbly to my mistake. "cowardly" is an adjective, and i'd rather blithely assumed that the adverb form must be something different, but according to dictionary.com (probably not the best authority on these things, but the easiest to check quickly), "cowardly" is also the adverb form. this bothers me a little bit, because i feel that it tacitly propagates the widespread notion that you can modify verbs with adjectives, but whatever. cowardly is an adjective and an adverb. and it's how i looked for the rat.

Anonymous said...

For whatever it's worth, the Merriam-Webster Collegiate places the adverb form first (i.e., before the adjective form), which could mean either that it (the adv. form) is more common than the adjective form, or that it predates the adjective form.

To resolve this ambiguity (one of the problems of the Merriam-Webster format), I turned to the OED, which puts the adjective before the adverb, but shows a first-recorded citation for "cowardly, adv." at "c. 1325." where the first record for the adjective form is 1551.

So what we have here isn't the (maligned) case of a verb being modified by an adjective, but rather a case in which a noun was modified by an adverb long enough ago that it has passed into the official lexicon, and in fact become not only acceptable, but the more common use of the term.

All of which should, if we follow Walt "Slang is the Origin of Language" Whitman, be taken as license to play fast and loose with grammatical rules.

Down with prescriptive grammar!

Anonymous said...

Oops -- the period after "c. 1325." should have been a comma.

That'll learn me to type lying down.

Anonymous said...

Oops -- the period after "c. 1325." should have been a comma.

That'll learn me to type lying down.

Blog Archive