Friday, July 07, 2006

pictures and the head bobble

First of all, here are the pictures I was supposed to post last time but was unable to due to technical difficulties:

The Oregon license plate on the wall at Sparky's. Woo Hoo!


The elephant that we saw outside of a Hindu temple in Pondy. Very interesting. E loved it.


M with her shiny bindi and E with his frosting bindi (on the 4th at Sparky's).


This is us in Pondy at the yummy French-Italian restaurant where I always ordered spinach ravioli. I just thought it was a particularly cute picture.


Me finishing my second milk at Sparky's. Note to S: NO, IT'S NOT THE MILK THAT MADE ME SICK! THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ULTRA-SUPER-DUPER PASTEURIZATION IS THAT IT KILLS EVERYTHING IN THE MILK SO IT WON'T GO BAD FOR, LIKE, EVER. STOP BAD MOUTHING THE MILK! p.s. to everyone: isn't that a cute top I'm wearing? I got it here for like 3 bucks at Casablanca.


Anyway, on to the rest of the post. Guess what? We're back in Mamalapuram! Have I mentioned how much I love it here? We went to Yogi's (our favorite restaurant), but the adorable smiley waiter wasn't there like he always is, and we freaked out (well, not really). But then we found out that the regular waiter is in Chennai visiting his wife and baby and the new waiter was the guy's brother, and he had the same adorable smile and mannerisms. Speaking of mannerisms, I think E, M, and I are starting to pick up the Indian head bobble a little bit. They do it when a Westerner would nod: to say yes, when they're listening, when they're contemplating, etc. The problem is that although the motion is predominantly a side-to-side tilt, there's also a slight back and forth shake involved, so instinctively you think people are saying no when they're saying yes. And they so often don't verbalize assent, so you're always like, "Yes? Yes? It is okay?" and they keep bobbling their head at you like you're kinda dumb or something.

Not much else excitement here; the survey schedule is typed up for the first two weeks, the survey forms are printed, and all is set to go. I'm very excited and hope to get a lot of rest this weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a cute top - and your hair is getting LONG!!

Anonymous said...

And you look hot in that photo! Love, B

Anonymous said...

I'm not seeing the photos you reference on this post. Am I dumb? Is there a secret? Am I already an old man who can't deal with technology? Could you program my VCR for me too? Wait, that was the 90s. I mean my TiVo.

Anonymous said...

OK. Now the photos are showing up. Y'all are very cute. You certainly don't look like India is gnawing at your souls. Not much, at least.

Blog Archive