Sunday, November 05, 2006

angel island and crazy dreams

Yesterday was the econ department's trip to Angel Island (a state park/island in the North Bay, accesible only by ferry). I was more or less in charge, so I'm pleased to report that everything went smoothly. Food was good, weather was nice (and at least a few people may now actually believe that I control the weather--as I claimed to in several mass emails to the econ department--because it was rainy and miserable on Thursday and Friday, but by Saturday afternoon it was balmy and the sun was out, just as I promised), and no one missed the ferry and got stranded overnight on the island (at least not to my knowledge). I even got dragged on a hike, which featured some gorgeous views of Tiburon and Sausalito, as well as the bay in general. One bummer was that my dear colleague JSOC (yes, he has four names, and he usually tells you all of them when he introduces himself--he's Colombian), sprained his ankle while running on the trail with E. This is particularly unfortunate because JSOC was supposed to be running in a marathon today (he is an avid runner).

I'm a touch worried that I'm getting sick again, because I've had a sore throat two mornings in a row, and I went to bed at 8 p.m. last night (of course, I'd had a few beers throughout the day, I'd done all that hiking and carrying of heavy bags of food, etc, and I'd gotten up at 7:30 a.m., which is nonstandard for me). I didn't wake up until 8 this morning, so in theory I slept for 12 hours, except I actually didn't, because after I went to sleep, I took 2 phone calls from DWE (who was in Salt Lake City and should now be on a plane to London), one from S, and I returned one to McDreamy, confirming our gaming plans for today (I woke up for these calls, of course). So I probably got more like 10 hours of sleep, and I recall at least some of it being unusually fitful. Or maybe the dreams were just weird. I distinctly remember a long dream in which I was shopping for a formal dress (one of the sororities at USF is putting on a Masquerade Ball--like a prom with booze, I guess--and some of my econ buddies are trying to badger me into attending, so this might have been the dream's origin). All of the dresses were either way too big or way too small or just really ugly, and I was always with someone who was rushing me or distracting me. This morphed into a related dream in which B and I were going to join some sports team (maybe the volleyball team?) and so we stole athletic equipment from the mall and we had to get our class schedules changed around (I think we were in college). Ron Livingston, the guy from Office Space, was a professor teaching a math class we wanted to take. And then the dream morphed again and Ron Livingston became this other good-looking, older guy that I had an inappropriate crush on, and that was inviting me over for Thanksgiving dinner or something.

One thing I've managed to do very little of this weekend is grade, so that's what I'll be doing this evening after I hang out with McDreamy and his roommate. At the moment, I think I'm going to go lie down for a bit, maybe read some more (having finished A Confederacy of Dunces, which was odd and unpleasant but very well-written and ultimately satisfying, I'm now re-reading some Vonnegut that I read and enjoyed about ten years ago), and see if my sore throat will go away. I'm starting to become irrationally paranoid again about having mono, because I have certainly been quite tired lately, taking naps during the day and sleeping long hours at night. There could be several reasons for this, however, and even in the unlikely event that I do have mono, all I can do is rest and take care of myself, which I would presumably do anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I can't tell which part of the dream I find funnier: that I'd be joining a sports team or that I'd be taking a math class. Ironically, the part about stealing the equipment and taking the class solely because it was taught by Ron Livingstone seems completely appropriate....

Blog Archive