Monday, January 01, 2007

happy new year

The last days of 2006 were mellow and sort of lazy ones for me; hence the lack of posting. I had a very nice Christmas in Bakersfield, complete with the requisite viewing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and the consumption of huge amounts of Chex Mix. I had lunch with N while I was in Bako, which was lovely. I ended up taking the train back up to SF because United cancelled my return ticket, a fact which was not reflected on their website or their automated phone system (and I couldn't get through to a human because of the Denver airport closure). I raised my voice to two different United employees, and swore never to fly their airline again (it will be difficult to make good on this promise, because they are the only airline that flies direct from SF to Bakersfield, but I'm feeling indignant enough to be willing to put up with Amtrak).

My winter break has yet to acheive its desired level of productiveness. I'm almost done putting together a jigsaw puzzle that I got for Christmas, and I've spent a lot of time worrying about what I'm going to do after I graduate, which is time consuming if not actually productive. I'm plowing through a scintillating book on financial markets, so if anyone needs to know anything about options markets or bond yields, I'm your girl.

DWE has had a highly unusual stint of being-in-town-ness, so I've been spending a lot of time with him. We saw this crazy band that one of his coworkers is in (I'll blog about it more later; for now I'll just say that the band members wear scary-looking muppetish monster heads). The other day when the weather was nice we took a scenic drive down the 1 to San Jose (which I now know the way to, or at least the back way to), where we ran errands at Target and Home Depot like a suburban married couple. Creepy.

Our New Year's Eve was low-key but highly enjoyable; we went to a pub called Edinburgh Castle and saw a band that does early punk covers. They had a kind of hard cider that I'd never had before, Strongbow, on tap, and I enjoyed several pints of that.

One of my grad school buddies is having a little get-together this afternoon, so I need to get going to that. I hope everyone had a good New Year's Eve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year - glad you got to spend it with your man. :)

Anonymous said...

sounds like a good new years. :) strongbow is the cider i drank all the time in london. and coincidentally i had it on new years as well. matt adn i went to rose and raindrop for it's final day in business on new years eve. very sad that it's closing. i don't know if you have been to it, but it is (was) this great little english pub on grand between stark and belmont. matt and my first date was there. it's also the first place i went after i got my tattoo two years ago, and it's where i was doing toastmasters for a while and learned how to speak in court. the reason it closed is because the lease was going up and stupid bank of america next door out bid them. :(
anyway, glad you had a good new years and that dwe was in town. any resolutions this year?
have you been to belize yet? if not, have fun and post pictures!
i miss you shmoopie!

Blog Archive