Tuesday, June 12, 2007

imminent departure

I'm currently in LA, at Casa de Muffin (well, actually, Casa de Muffin's boyfriend, who is a truly lovely person that I'm very excited to have gotten to meet finally). As I mentioned, Muffin is leaving on the train with the rest of the Dreams Across America people tomorrow, so he is running around dealing with last minute stuff, much the way I had been until I left Bakersfield earlier today (except there's far more equipment and logistical pre-planning involved in filmmaking than in economics).

Of course I feel as though there should be something noteworthy about my last night in the U.S. for a bit. And there is, insofar as I haven't seen Muffin in forever, it's great to meet his boyfriend, I just drank a really good martini, etc. But leaving is, as usual, deceptively mundane. I don't know what Ghana will be like, but I can guess; I don't know what will change while I'm gone, but probably not much.

I don't think I'd do very well writing a travel memior. I don't seem to be able to imbue the proper moments with the proper meaning. Maybe the juices will start flowing once I get on the plane (not that I'm trying to write a travel memoir, but I feel that things should be mildly more interesting than this).

Unless LAX got free WiFi while I wasn't noticing, my next dispatch will be from Accra...

2 comments:

Rebel said...

Wait! You've gone all green again. Oh well. Have fun spending the next 328 hours (aprox) in transit!

Rebel said...

I know you're not going to be able to check your email for a long time, but I wanted to send this link to you - because this cat is in your fav. position.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/06/14/this-is-mah-job/

Blog Archive