Sunday, June 17, 2007

it's not the 3rd world unless someone calls me fat

I admit that I'm not doing so well with the jet lag. I slept quite late this afternoon again, which doesn't matter much because it's Sunday, but is unhelpful nonetheless. Still no cell phone, but after I'm done here I'm going to go see about one that I looked at yesterday. I told the guy that was trying to sell it to me that I needed to go eat, and he gestured to my stomach and said that Americans already eat enough, that we have too much food and are too fat, no? I agreed with him, but said that I hadn't eaten all day, and therefore I was going to have dinner regardless of the state of my own stomach or the stomach of collective Americans.

Earlier I was walking with a gentleman who had befriended me (okay, accosted me) on the street, and he was saying that it was hard for white people to walk around because everyone wants to talk to them or sell them something. I told him I was used to it because it was the exact same way in India. Something about that statement felt inappropriate to me, as though I were saying, "yeah, you know, poor countries where the people have darker skintones...they're all the same...they all harass me because I'm so rich and white, but gee, I've learned to deal with it." As much as I like travelling, I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with the inherent social dynamics.

Back to the cheap cell phone hunt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Glad you made it safe and sound. Sorry about the jet lag and some annoying sounding comments. Sounds like you are handling the situations very well. I am very impressed with your travelling, it sounds exicting. : )

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I'm finally catching up on your adventures. You need to write a book. I can practically hear you telling me these stories and it's impossible to not laugh out loud. You are hilarious!

Blog Archive