Saturday, June 09, 2007

moved out

I am officially no longer a resident of San Francisco. The majority of my stuff is stacked up in a 5' by 10' storage space in SoMa (and I have to say that N was right when he said that you'd be surprised how much fits in a storage unit--I had no problem fitting dozens and dozens of boxes, two bed frames, a full-size mattress, three book shelves, a futon frame, a papazan frame and cushion, my dining room table, and various other miscellaneous items). I also have some stuff both at DWE's house and my ma's house, mostly clothes and some other things that I didn't want to put in storage (poor DWE asked to borrow my Simpsons DVDs and managed to get saddled with all of my DVDs and the media shelf that they're stored in).

Moving was a somewhat stressful experience because, as usual, I had more stuff than I thought and I wasn't as well-packed as I thought. I rented an SUV (the Ford Edge--nice handling, but worst gas mileage ever) on Monday morning and took two loads of stuff to my storage space on my own, which was tiring but not too bad (carrying stuff down the stairs is definitely easier than the alternative). On Tuesday morning I took a second load to storage, then DWE helped me in the afternoon and we took all the big stuff over. The storage unit closes at 6 p.m., so I spent Tuesday evening frantically finishing packing all the random crap still left in my apartment (and there was quite a bit of it) so that I could do an early-morning storage unit run before I had to return my rental car. DWE was driving down to San Diego on Wednesday evening, so he drove me to Bakersfield with the last of my stuff. Although I did a lot of the moving myself, DWE was extremely helpful, especially at the end when I was panicking and sore and tired of going up and down stairs. In addition to being really patient with me, he worked really hard and tirelessly carried stuff while I finished packing and dealt with move-out paperwork and stuff. Of course, DWE is just one in a long line of helpful and tireless friends who have helped me move over the years (as many of you know because you are those helpful and tireless people).

My ma and I are in Vegas right now for the weekend, which I will tell you all about in a later post. For now I have to go shower because we're getting massages at 10:30. I'll also provide an update on Ghana stuff soon (just 4 days until I leave!).

3 comments:

Eugene Henson said...

Helloo,
I feel like we haven't spoken for years! I mean, after practically a month of sharing each other's (unclean) underwear and trying to guess what the other person ate from the smell of their farts, it's just hard to be away! I find it amusing how I read your blog and get excited when I make a guest star appearance! Like you said, while we are all the stars in our own life stories, we are all just guest stars in others! Until, of course, we meet that special someone though with the moxy to move up to co-star status... that special person who sleeps on your futon for a month, and pushes the limits of irritation:)

marissa said...

teresa is in vegas this weekend...maybe you'll run into each other. (i know, vegas is a big place, and not everyone that looks like cy kennedy actually is... ;) )

jenn said...

E- ciao baby! my apartment did seem awfully empty after you left...but maybe that's just because i moved all the furniture out.=) and also there was no one singing and dancing in his underwear for me.

MJ- sadly, i did not see teresa, but i did see about a million other people. vegas is so freakin' crowded.

Blog Archive