Monday, August 06, 2007

one step closer to no longer being a shiftless drain on society

I'm still here in partly-cloudy San Francisco, crashing on S's inflatable mattress and watching his Sex and the City DVDs (can I just say that Harry and Charlotte are the most adorable and romantic thing ever?). I've been waiting to hear back from the folks I interviewed with on Wednesday, and they called this morning to set up a second interview, so yay! That presumably means that (1) they liked me and (2) I didn't make a bunch of stupid mistakes on the math test I had to take as part of the first interview. I'm irrationally happy about having done well on what was generally a very easy test; maybe it's because I've been scarred by my hopelessly mediocre performances on the GRE math section, but I was very worried about messing up.

Yesterday I bought a new iPod (the old one, which was on its last leg anyway, was among the items stolen in Ghana). I'd decided a few weeks ago on the red 8 GB Nano, but I was debating whether to buy it at a store or order it online so that I could get free engraving on the back. In the end, I couldn't think of anything I really wanted engraved on the back of my iPod, so I opted for the instant gratification of in-store purchase. I also bought a nice case for it as part of my attempt to maintain this iPod a little more carefully than my old one (although, for all it's many scratches, dropping incidents, and minor problems, that iPod lasted an impressive amount of time).

I'm off on another shopping trip this afternoon, since I only brought one interview outfit with me to SF. I was going to wear my suit pants again with a different top, but I accidentally left my suit hanging in DWE's closet, and he is in D.C. at the moment. I suppose since I'm (hopefully) entering the grown-up working world again, it wouldn't hurt to invest in some more dress pants.

3 comments:

marissa said...

aren't you the same person who used to mock and scold me for watching sex and the city...?

jenn said...

MJ- I KNEW you were going to ask me that... Anyway, yes, you're right, I did mock you, and possibly scold you as well, all of which was perhaps a bit short-sighted of me. On one hand, I can relate to the themes of the show much better now than I could several years ago when it was first on, and as a result I appreciate it more than I used to. On the other hand, I still find it just as shallow and inane as I ever did. And Sarah Jessica Parker still bugs the crap out of me (although she has a really cool, really cheap clothing line...remind me to tell you about it sometime).

I guess the bottom line is that the show is silly, but usually funny, and sometimes very touching, and I'm bored off my ass. And S makes me watch it!

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for seeing the good aspects of sex and the city. It is silly, but I find it very endearing (the non-x-rated parts). And I'm not suprised you like it now. Unless I am mixing up people, I think you also had a hate than love switch with Alanis Morrisette. Forgive me if I am getting the person or music example wrong, I am still jetlagging and not entirely awake.

Blog Archive