Thursday, September 14, 2006

manbags and adorable freshmen

I know, I know, I'm so overdue for a post. I have pictures from B's visit, but I just can't be bothered to upload them at the moment.

I had a very productive day today. I mostly did a bunch of annoying little errands like getting my sunglasses tightened (they were falling off my face when I tilted my head down), going to the post office to pick up some packages, and getting my prescriptions refilled. I also spent a few hours shopping, mostly for man bags for McDreamy (I think I've convinced him that it would be a superior method for transporting his PDA, cell phone, and wallet, in contrast to his current habit of wearing them on his belt like a super hero). And yes, I've only been dating him for a few weeks, and he's not my boyfriend, but I am sort of telling him how to dress (or at least how to accessorize). But in my defense, I keep telling him to just ignore my advice because it's his life and I want him to do whatever makes him happy, but he seems to want my advice, at least to some degree. Anyway, finding man bags was harder than you might think in a city with such a vast population of gay men. I guess it's just that I have something very specific (and relatively small) in mind, and I can't seem to find it.

But as usual, I did a great job of shopping for myself. I got some long-sleeved shirts on sale for $10 each at Old Navy, and when I bought them they gave me a coupon for 15% off at The Gap, so I went over there and found some good cotton underwear (the kind that has no lace or other crap and doesn't look like something a ten year old would wear), which seems increasingly hard to come by these days. And it was on sale too! I also bought a black ribbed tank top, which was utterly unjustified because I already have two black ribbed tank tops, but this one is a different style, and it was on clearance for $8 (not to mention the extra 15% off) so it was easy to rationalize.

It's time for me to go curl up with a big stack of Intro Micro quizzes and my red grading pen. Incidentally, I tutored two Intro Micro students on Wednesday, and they were just as adorable as they could be. I was going over a practice quiz with the one girl, and she'd give me the answer and I'd tell her if it was right (and if not explain what the right answer should be and why), and then I notice that she had the answers on the back of the page (because Dr. J had given them to the students in class). I said, "Oh, be sure to check and let me know if I get one of these wrong, because I'm just making up the answers as I go" and she looked a little concerned and wanted to know how long ago I took Intro Micro. The truth is that I technically never took it, but I was like, "Honey, don't worry. I've taken Intermediate Micro, Graduate Micro, and a slew of Micro-focused electives. If I couldn't tell you how a demand curve was going to shift when consumer incomes go up, they'd probably kick me out of the program." Then the boy that I tutored later (these kids are 18-year-old Freshmen, and since I have an entire decade on them I feel justified in calling them "girl" and "boy") wanted to know, after we were done going over the problem set, if it was okay if he came to my TA hours to ask me general economics questions. I told him sure. "Okay," he said, "because I try to read The Economist, and I get the political stuff, because you know, it's just about countries, but I don't understand the economics stuff." I told him that I can remember when I didn't understand those articles either and that I love to talk about economics and he can come in and ask me anything he wants. He was this precious little skater boy with semi-dreadlocks, and he was all serious about understanding The Economist. I just wanted to hug him.

And now it's time to go see if either of these kids actually passed their quizzes. More soon. Things have been hectic since B left, but they've settled down now, and should be calm for a bit, so you can expect more updates and some pictures.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DON'T EAT SPINACH! Just heard that there's been an e-coli outbreak due to bagged spinach (not sure if it's the brand you get). I think this means you need to go back to that restaurant & eat your zucchini & corn pasta again. ;)

jenn said...

yeah, my mom called me this morning to warn me about the spinach (she says it's across several brands). i have an open bag in my fridge, and it's old enough that i'd have to cook it if i wanted to use the rest of it, which would presumably kill the e. coli. also, i'm pretty sure it's not contaminated, because i put it on the sandwiches i made for Opera in the Park (a thing the econ department went to last sunday) and like four people ate those sandwiches and were fine. but i'll probably throw it out anyway, just to be on the safe side. and because i'm not all that excited about cooked spinach at the moment. thanks for having my back, though. i'll think of you fondly as i enjoy not being violently ill for the next several days.

Anonymous said...

Well, I know you love your bagged spinach! Personally this is just further rationale for my Taco Bell diet ;).

Anonymous said...

You remember when I was a politics minor? I almost didn't do it for two specific reasons: you were required to take a class called Politics of Advanced Industrial Nations (acronym P.A.I.N.) and you were required to have a subscription to the economist. I thought this was too high a price to pay. It's too bad you weren't my TA at the time! I love having a friend as smart and funny and caring and beautiful as you!! B

Anonymous said...

Isn't it fun when students get concerned because they imagine that you lack knowledge? I had a strange conversation with a student on the E train this past Friday, in which she was aghast that I couldn't define "poetry" simply. I finally came up with "language as music," and that seemed to placate her, thankfully, though I know that that only provides a small part of the answer (and only half of Zukofsky's arguably reductive equation).

Blog Archive