Thursday, October 05, 2006

i'm married to the sea

I broke things off with McDreamy today (this was the romantic angst to which I previously alluded). I'd been mulling it over for a while, especially while I was sick and had lots of time by myself. The conclusion I eventually came to was that McDreamy is a great guy, and I enjoy spending time with him and feel much affection for him, but these feelings are platonic, not romantic. I feel a little sad, but I know it was the absolute right decision. As I suspected he would, he took it extremely well, and we will certainly still be friends, which makes me happy.

Other than that, today's been lovely. I got some things done at home, worked on entering thesis data (until I hit another in what appears to be an endless series of uncertainties over how to handle particular issues with the data), and caught up on my NYT, Slate, and Economist reading. At the behest of one of my professors, I've recently added the Financial Times to my online reading repetoire (The Economist is the only news publication that I can deal with reading on paper, because it's weekly, and therefore represents a smaller addition to the crap lying around my apartment). I don't read all these publications from cover to metaphoric cover (although I come close with The Economist), but it's interesting to see different treatments of the same issues.

I think tonight I might rewatched the episode of The Simpsons where Lisa is asking Marge how to tell Ralph Wiggum that she doesn't like him romantically. Homer is passing through the room, and he says, "Let me handle this one, Marge. I've heard them all: I just like you as a friend, I don't speak English, I'm married to the sea, I don't want to kill you, but I will..." His delivery of the line is particularly hilarious. Anyway, I resisted the urge to wuss out and tell McDreamy that I'm married to the sea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, you're a fine girl... what a good wife you will be. But my life, my love and my lady is the sea. ;)

Anonymous said...

i am impressed (but definitely NOT surprised) at your ability to quickly and kindly break it off with someone. you handled it much better than i did when i wanted to break it off with k.r. but instead kept going on dates with him thinking "tonight i'll tell him", but only managing to muster up weak allusions to being "busy", meanwhile keeping my hands glued to the insides of my jacket pockets for fear he might try to hold one of them, then cringing in disgust when he seized his one opportunity and grabbed the phlegm-covered hand i had to take out of my pocket to cover my sneeze. whoa! what a run-on sentence! anyway, glad you have figured out that part of your romantic angst...how's the other part? and what's his "blog name" going to be, since "mcdreamy" has already been used?

jenn said...

rebel- it's brandy that's a fine girl. mandy is the one that came and gave with out taking, and was subsequently sent away by barry manilow.

Anonymous said...

I realized that shortly after I posted... Brandy-Mandy... it was an honest mistake.

Blog Archive