Sunday, April 01, 2007

african miniaturized hedgehog

DWE and I took a little roadtrip this weekend. We had no plan or intended destination, so we just sort of drove and stopped in places that seemed interesting. We spent the first night in Marysville and the second night in Chico (yes, we drove through Stevie's hometown, Paradise). It was a wonderfully aimless and relaxing trip. DWE is a big fan of back roads, so it took us over six hours to get back to the city today (and we drove on a dirt road for almost thirty miles), but the scenery was incredible. Lots of really beautiful valleys, a couple lakes (one of which we stopped at and I learned how to skip a rock over water), old farms, fields of wildflowers, tree-lined roads, wine country, etc. I made DWE play the guessing game with me (one person thinks of something, the other person asks yes or no questions until he or she guesses it). DWE is terrible at the game because it's almost impossible to get him to think of anything other than Scott Bakula (I'd explain why, but it's a long, nonsensical story). We had the following conversation no less than five times:

"Okay, I thought of something."
"Is it an animal?"
"Yes."
"Is it a human?"
"Yes."
"Is it Scott Bakula?"
"Yes. You're so good at this game."
"Stop picking Scott Bakula!"

When it was his turn to guess, he'd always ask me if something was smaller than an African Miniaturized Hedgehog, which is apparently about the size of a fist.

Up in the mountains past Paradise, we ended up on a dirt road that didn't really go anywhere, and encountered some people from the tiny town several miles downhill that had a flat tire. We drove the mom and the daughter back into town to get their other truck, and she was telling us about how they let thier ten-year-old and eight-year-old sons drive sometimes up on the little dirt roads, and it's so funny because the eight-year-old doesn't really get the concept of letting go of the clutch after he changes gears so they just keep stalling, and I'm thinking, you let your eight-year-old drive?! In Chico I had a fun drunken bathroom bonding moment with a girl in the next stall who needed some TP, and then asked my opinion about her hairstyle. It was very cute. I also had a salad with a really, really good vinagrette dressing (good enough that I feel the need to tell you about it).

So now I'm back in SF and I'm tired and I have a ton of work to do. I did get my federal taxes done on Friday before we left, which is nice, especially since I got to file for free online and since I'm getting an $817 refund (student loans don't count as income, and I only made $5000 as a TA last year, so I get all the taxes I paid refunded, plus I qualify for the EITC). But the much more important April 15th deadline is my thesis being due, and although I've made decent progress with running all my regressions, I really need to get a lot done this week.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were you thinking of "Chunkypants57@aol.com"?

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I goofed. It's "chunkylover53@aol.com".... you knew what I meant though. :P

jenn said...

No, but one time I was thinking of "Truckasaurus". It took him a long time to get that. At one point he said, "is it some sort of pooping robot?"

Anonymous said...

Truckasaurus!!!! =)

Anonymous said...

i'm impressed that he eventually actually did get to "truckasaurus"!!! and i want to hear the story about why he can't pick anything besides scott bakula.

Nathan Austin said...

I really like the idea of transcribing this game -- maybe just the questions, as all but the final answer would be implied by the following question.

I hate self-publicity, and feel I'm hijacking thejcurve here, BUT -- I've started my own blog, and NEED people to read it. It's poetry, so be warned...

thiscruellestmonth.blogspot.com

Nathan Austin said...

Oh -- and by the way, I'd completely forgotten Truckasaurus... The mere mention of that name makes my spring-break hangover a bit worse...

jenn said...

N--i was going to ask your permission to post a link to your blog, but i'll take your comment as implied permission. and i love the idea that poetry needs a special warning label.

MJ--DWE has an, as far as i can tell, irrational hatred of scott bakula (or just "bakula" as he calls him). sometimes when things go wrong he says that bakula must have done it. it's possible that he never had any strong feelings about scott bakula prior to meeting me, and manufactured this hatred as a random one-time joke, and continued the joke only because it gets a reaction from me (i dare say that i am a scott bakula fan). i'm really not sure, and DWE is really good at feigning seriousness about something absurd.

Nathan Austin said...

I call him "Scott Dracula." The cape is implied.

Nathan Austin said...

Oh -- and thanks for linking to my blog!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm late jumping in, Jenn, I am a HUGE Bakula fan and totally with you. Ever since he starred in "Quantum Leap" (one of my all-time favorite things I watched after school), not to mention "Designing Women", he's my guy. (Let it be noted, I have not seen a single episode of Enterprise). I got your back on this one, girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

i tried to post this comment, but it didn't go...so hopefully i won't have it up here twice in a second...
anyway, his kid went to elementary school with my brother, so i've "met" him (aka been in the same auditorium as him during christmas plays). crazy, huh?

jenn said...

B- Bakula was on Designing Women? I was obsessed with Quantum Leap as a child, and as you know I also watched him on Enterprise (and have his action figure) but I can't remember seeing him on Designing Women, which I also used to watch with some regularity. I'm getting forgetful in my old age...

MJ- I checked with DWE, and my hunch was right. He has no particular feelings about scott bakula, but decided to make a joke about him one day, and was entertained when I took him seriously, so has kept the joke going (and will continue to, i'm sure). didn't you also babysit for kevin costner once?

Blog Archive