Friday, May 18, 2007

what's even better than winning?

The econ party was last night. The food was a little better than usual for a Bon Appetit-catered event (I have to say--they aren't as good at USF as they were at Willamette), and there was a reasonably good turnout.

(Before I go on, I have to mention that E, who is still staying with me, just got out of the shower and seems to be doing some kind of dance/mime show combination for me in his underwear. He does a lot of singing and dancing.)

Anyway, back to the party. They announced the winner of the various awards, including the IDEC award. As you may recall from a previous post, I predicted that JSOC was going to win. But of course I'm human, and I'm inordinately enamored of myself, so I wanted to win also. I'm happy to report that the award results left me totally gratified: JSOC and I tied to win, meaning that I both won and guessed the winner correctly. The only problem was that H and I had a bet riding on it (if JSOC won, H bought me a pitcher of beer; if I won, I bought H a pitcher), and we both won the bet (or lost, depending on how you look at it). And, of course, in a larger sense, the whole thing is a bit silly. JSOC and I both worked really hard and did well, but then again so did E, H, and the girl we don't know that well (not to mention the many people not nominated that also worked really hard and did really well). Don't get me wrong, I love winning, but given what a collaborative experience grad school was for me, the whole award thing is kind of bogus.

Well, the sheets for the futon are probably about ready to go in the dryer, and I have a lot to do before my mom gets here, so I suppose I should get to it. I'll probably post pictures of graduation tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are soooooo! Awesome! Congradulations!

Anonymous said...

i knew you would win. :) you are such a rockstar! i'm so excited for you.
i'm sitting at stanfords at the airport with your "wife" who picked me up from the airport (i was in las vegas for r's wedding). i don't have any furniture at my portlad house so i'm staying in sellwood at my aunt's house, which is right by jj's house.
your wife says "smooch smooch". ;)

Nathan Austin said...

Congratulations again!

As for as the problem caused by the bet, we could approach it from a philosophically pragmatic perspective, and ask whether it matters in real-world terms. Certainly, the two pitchers of beer must have made everyone concerned care a lot less...

Blog Archive