Saturday, June 23, 2007

everybody loves monkeys

We're in a town called Techiman right now, which is three hours north of Kumasi and near a monkey sanctuary and also some waterfalls. We saw the monkeys today (as well as a lot of really cool trees) and will possibly go to the waterfalls tomorrow (although I might stay here and work; the internet cafe here actually has a faster connection than the one in Kumasi). I will post pictures when I get a chance to do some uploading, and who knows when that will be.

Things are going well, but I'm a bit behind on work. I didn't do much on Thursday (other than a very productive meeting with OI's marketing people in the morning) because I wasn't feeling well, and Friday I spent the morning with Mel and Al (the two female IDEC students who are also here; obviously those aren't their full names) while they went out and surveyed a borrower group in a rural area outside Kumasi, then the afternoon we were in transit to Techiman. JP has made a bunch of revisions to the survey that I need to look at, and then I have some more revisions of my own to make (things specific to Ghana, mostly). Next week I'm scheduled to visit several different areas where OI gives loans to choose one in which to do my surveying. I've been feeling very stressed out about how everything is going to work out, but I'm starting to envision how the process will work a little more clearly, and I'm feeling a bit better. More details in a later post.

Oh, and here's another charming anecdote about the fascinating cultural differences between the US and Ghana: I was with Mel, Al, and Mel's boyfriend at the monkey sanctuary today, and our tour guide asked me if I was their mother (they are 23, 23, and 27). I was shocked and said no, and asked the guide how old he thought I was. He said in my 40s. When I told him my actual age, he explained that I look older because I am fat. The reason for this is not entirely clear to me: although here, as in the US, many older people tend to carry a bit of extra weight, there are some chubby young people, too (not as many as in the US, I suppose). And I know that it's sometimes hard to tell how old people of other, unfamiliar races are. But I don't so much love being called old and fat in the same sentence (I don't really hate it, either; I guess it just comes with the territory).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take offense for you -- you neither look old nor fat. You don't dress "old". Perhaps it's an air of maturity about you? Or perhaps your guide was smoking crack? I'll give France one thing -- no one calls you fat to your face (they just glance disapprovingly).

Anonymous said...

kill that mo-fo...
send that mo-fo to my territory,
where i am the king of the night.

Anonymous said...

shmoopie...this is a weird place to ask, but i want to send you a wedding invitation (even though you'll be in ghana). can i have an address for you? maybe at your mom's? just email me with it. thanks!

Anonymous said...

oops, the stupid computer printed before i was able to sign my name..
-mj

Rebel said...

Haven't you always wanted a monkey?

jenn said...

You guys are very sweet to defend my youthful attractiveness. I will say that I dress a bit more "old" (or at least "frumpy") here than I do in the states, but it's not enough to mistake me for 40. But people just make weird assumptions, and calling someone "fat" is generally not an insult the way it is in the US. And besides, I do think that to Ghanaians, all white people sort of look the same (like all Asians look the same to Americans...right Hong?).

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else..that guy was on crack. I mean, would I have ever said "I do" to anyone who is not gorgeous? Anyway, I am definetly living vicarously through your blog; it sounds like an amazing experience...and I want a picture of a monkey!! (and maybe some birds if you see any). ; )

Blog Archive