Tuesday, June 19, 2007

off to kumasi

I'm in the OI office again today, partly to take care of a few last details but mostly for free internet and AC. This afternoon I will leave for Kumasi. Yay! I'm not sure why I'm so convinced that everything will be better once I get to Kumasi. I'm really looking forward to seeing my fellow IDECers. I also very much want to start getting "settled in" and start some kind of a routine, and it doesn't make much sense to start one here when I'm going to be spending the summer in Kumasi.

Because I know you're just dying to know: Kumasi is the second largest city in Ghana (after Accra, of course) with a population of approximately 1 million. It is inland, so it's probably a bit warmer (which is okay because the heat here in Accra really hasn't been that bad, compared to what I'd imagined). Kumasi is the old capital of the Ashanti region; the Ashanti (or Asante) are the largest native group in Ghana and fought several wars with the British until they were incorporated into the Gold Coast colony in the late 1800s (I hope I'm remembering these details correctly...the history of Ghana that I'm reading is informative but not exactly scintillating). The Ashanti language is called Twe, and I believe it is the most commonly spoken language after English. (Random side note...Ghana is approximately the same size, but a bit smaller than, Oregon.)

3 comments:

Rebel said...

You're from Bakersfield, if anyone can take the heat - you can. I'm glad you're keeping your blog updated. Let us know when you have a real mailing address

marissa said...

are the fellow idec-ers people you already know or new people?

jenn said...

The IDECers and people I knew a little, but not that well. They are way cool though, and I'm really enjoying being in Kumasi. Might be a few days until the next update, but there will be one eventually, I promise.

Blog Archive