Friday, June 29, 2007

pictures

As I'd hoped, I found an internet cafe in Cape Coast that is fast and still pretty cheap. It is cooler here and there are some neat castles from the colonial period (mostly built by the Dutch, I think), and of course it is great to be by the water. Cape Coast is west of Accra and southwest of Kumasi. It took us about 4 hours to get here, which isn't bad for Ghana.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling truly awful at the moment, so all I have the energy for is posting a bunch of pictures.Here is your monkey, J.J. Sorry it's not closer-up. I have some better ones (and this one is better when you zoom in), but this is a monkey grooming a smaller monkey on the roof of someone's house.

When the monkies die, they bury them and do a ceremony that involves pouring a bottle of schnapps on the grave. There was a whole graveyard.


This is outside of Techiman, on the way to the monkey place. Ghana is very green.


I tried very hard to memorize the name of this lake, and I think I've forgotten it already. It is near one of the borrowing communities I visited. It is very large and very beautiful, and lots of people fish there. I haven't seen much fishing here on the coast so far (but I'm sure there is some around here somewhere).


Okay, so at the lake, they sold fish in baskets. Whole fish, apparently deep-fried. I was with a driver and a loan officer from OI, and they were all about eating these fish. You eat the whole damn thing: head, tail, bones, everything. Here is the head of a fish that I was eating. I ate this head right after I took the picture. Then I thought I was going to throw up, but the feeling passed, fortunately.


This is in Kumasi, near where I will be surveying. This is sort of what Africa looks like.

If I feel better tomorrow, I will post more. For now it's back to the guesthouse.

1 comment:

Rebel said...

Mmmm... nice crunch fish heads. At least they're not trying to sneak it into your morning pastry.

Blog Archive