Tuesday, August 14, 2007

i got the job!

I was officially offered and officially accepted a teaching position with the Math Empowerment program at Making Waves. Yay! I start on August 27th, so it will be a nice one-day-early 29th birthday present. I'm a bit overqualified for the position (insofar as I don't need a master's degree to do it, and in theory I'm qualified to do other jobs that pay more), but the work is very appealling, and I will make enough money to survive. In fact, I'm starting at a higher salary than I would have otherwise as a result of my degree (of course, I'm also in a lot of debt as a result of my degree, so there you go).

The next project, then, is to find an apartment. Since I will be working in Richmond, which is over in East Bay, I'm considering living in Berkeley or another BART-adjacent place that might be cheaper than San Francisco. Berkeley isn't exactly cheap, but it's at least potentially cheaper than SF, and my commute would be just about 15 minutes instead of more than an hour (not that I mind a long commute too much...I can always read, listen to music, etc).

Anyway, it's a huge relief to know that I have a job waiting, and it's nice that I don't have to start for another two weeks (especially since I really can't start sooner than the 27th, since I will be in Portland all of next week).

6 comments:

T is said...

Yippy!!! YOU ROCK!!! I'm so happy for you

marissa said...

congratulations!!! :) you'll be really good at it, too. you're probably one of the few people who can make me understand math...

Rebel said...

Congratulations. And have pitty on the poor kids, math can be really hard for people who are smart in other areas. but I know you'll do well, you helped me understand (pre) calculus - you can do anything ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!Congrats!!!!! By the way, I was going to suggest you move into my previous home in San Fran, also east, on the wildlife refuge near Newark, south bay, till I looked on a map and realized that it isn't close to Richmond at all. Too bad... you could have had birds as neighbors like I did. : )

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jenn! I lived in Richmond briefly before being transferred up to OR with the bank. I lived in apts by the Richmond Marina. Not in the 'hood which is very hood-y. My favorite thing about Richmond was In-n-Out burger right off the freeway.....mmmmm. You can tell I'm preggo, always thinking about food!! See you soon!
Annie & BabyK2.

Nathan Austin said...

Let me be the sixth to congratulate you! I'm curious to hear more details...

Blog Archive