Friday, August 31, 2007

old lady new job

I'm not entirely in a blogging mood right now, but I thought I should at least check in, because it's been an eventful week. I turned 29 on Tuesday, and spent a couple of minutes obsessing over my wrinkles in front of the mirror. I know I'm being a little silly, but I am feeling rather old. DWE took me out for dinner and jazz music, which was really lovely and relaxing.

On Monday I started my new job. We spent this week doing training and getting to know each other, and next Tuesday I start teaching students. There are five other new Math Empowerment teachers, all of whom seem really cool (and a couple of whom are young and male and way cute). I think I'm going to like this job quite a bit. It's a very supportive, progressive, and fun work environment, and from what I can tell working with the students will be both challenging and enjoyable.

Speaking of high school students from the greater Oakland area, has anyone ever heard of the slang term "bootsy"? Apparently it's a negative adjective that high school students around here use. Most likely several of my new students will think that math is bootsy.

I'll probably post again later this weekend, but that's all for now.

2 comments:

T is said...

I forgot to say happy birthday so...and just think you get to do it all over again in a few months! Good luck on your new job, it sound like it will be a lot of fun!

marissa said...

wow,i am getting so old and un-hip. even two years ago when i worked with middle schoolers, i knew the slang (shorty, etc). but i have never in my 31 years heard something be called "bootsy."

Blog Archive