Monday, September 17, 2007

more moving

No pictures of the apartment yet, partly because I refuse to take pictures while it's still in partially-unpacked disarray, and partly because I just got my camera (well, my sister-in-law's camera that I'm borrowing) from S's place. But the good news is that everything I own, save for some miscellaneous items at my mom's house and the hanging clothes that I forgot to get out of DWE's closet, is now in my new place. I rented a car on Saturday and cleared the rest of my stuff out of my storage unit, then spent the rest of the weekend unpacking and getting things in order. Some observations:

1. The Ford Taurus, which I honestly believe that only rental car companies purchase any more, has the biggest trunk I have ever seen.

2. The laundromat in my neighborhood is really, really nice, especially in contrast to the one near my old apartment. Yes, you lose some charm (no Judge Judy playing on the circa 1983 TV and no sketchy people drinking tall cans of PBR in the corner), but you more than make up for it with cleanliness, plants, a working sink with soap and paper towels, and an actual laundromat employee.

3. High ceilings are awesome, unless you want to hang something from them and you're not very tall.

4. I'm not very tall.

5. My next-door neighbor, who also just moved in, is really cool. She is approximately my age, in her second year of law school, and spent a month this summer in Iraq working with abused women through an NGO. We helped each other move some stuff. I also made E (who is starting his new job today and is staying with me for a while) help her move a dresser, and now he seems a bit smitten with her. So cute.

6. Moving into and setting up an apartment seems much more time consuming when you have a job.

Despite the job, which is still going well, I think I will have everything perfect by the end of the week. And then I promise to take pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, you are very alive.
and near from my work.
i like your neighborhood...
BofA, Safeway, foods...

Will drop by...
a little detour on my way back to home...
(hating commutes)

Rebel said...

I'm boycotting your blog until you put up pictures ;) I mean... starting.... now.

marissa said...

but can you get a beer and some fried chicken at your laundromat? (i've heard there's someplace in north portland where you can...)

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, the Ford Taurus really was only sold to fleets during the 2007 model year...you couldn't buy one at a dealer even if you wanted to (of course, that's because no one wanted to).

Was it the old Taurus or the New Taurus with the 3-bar grille?

Blog Archive