Tuesday, October 17, 2006

research

I'm whiny this morning: research is hard, and I suck at it. Or maybe my expectations are unreasonable. I'm writing my research paper for my International Econ Seminar (the Monday night class) on China's current account surplus (known to regular people as their "trade surplus") and the manipulation of their exchange rate through the purchase of foreign exchange reserves. It's not an obscure topic; I'm willing to bet that every single one of you already knew about China's huge trade surplus and undervalued currency, if for no other reason than American politicians inaccurately portray it as being the reason for the U.S.'s massive trade deficit. For some reason, however, it's been much more difficult than I anticipated to find the sorts of articles I'm looking for. Granted, I've only spent about 2 hours looking so far, and my success would be greater if I were counting articles that I found but was unable to download on the internet for free. It doesn't help matters that USF is a small school and that our library sucks.

Anyway, I slept in far later than I intended to, the work is mounting, and I leave for Portland in less than 48 hours, so I guess I should go start my day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you sneak over to UCSF and pretend to be a student there? They probably have access to more journals. Good luck. Research is hard when you can't actually access the articles you need.

jenn said...

UCSF is only a medical school. i'm sure they have all kinds of journals, but i'm guessing none regarding economics (except maybe "the journal of medical economics" or something. and to access stuff electronically (which is what i want to do) you have to have a user ID and password. good thought, though.

Anonymous said...

If you need to borrow an ID/password from a larger institution with greater access to journals and the like (ie: my home institution), let me know. I've got the hook up!

Anonymous said...

If you need to borrow an ID/password from a larger institution with greater access to journals and the like (ie: my home institution), let me know. I've got the hook up!

Anonymous said...

Sorry - didn't know that about UCSF. And yeah, if you ever need access to articles from the "Journal of adolescent health: official publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine" I've got you covered!

Actually... I'm looking, and I have access to a crap-load of Economic Journals. "Economic Development & cutural Change", "Economic Development Journal", "Economic Analysis: A Journal of Enterprise & Participation".... so seriously, let me know.

Blog Archive