Saturday, October 06, 2007

my sad little world without internet

So this whole thing where I don't have internet at my apartment is kind of a drag. When E was staying with me, I was able to use his computer to get online, and now DWE is here, and I'm using his. I don't want to get DSL because I don't want a phone line, but I don't think my apartment is hooked up for cable, either. And even if I did have internet, my computer keeps doing that thing where it randomly shuts down all the time, so it's only semi-usable at this point. Really what I need is a new computer, but it will take me a couple months to save up enough money. In the mean time, I check my email and pay bills and stuff at work, and I just neglect other things like reading peoples blogs or updating this one. Sorry about that.

DWE has been in town for a few days, and we are having a nice time together. Right now he is at the grocery store buying ingredients to make me french toast. Isn't he cute?

I had a good week at work, but I'm bummed out because I had to give up one of my students. Basically, students are put in MEP (Math Empowerment Program) because they are getting lower than a B- in their math class, or because there is some other reason to think that they need extra math support. One of my students is doing really well in Geometry, and she's really bright and sweet, and I love working with her. But since she is doing so well, and since it appears that she has the ability to continue to do well without my support, she doesn't actually need to be in an MEP class, so now she's not my student anymore. I'll miss her, and I'll miss the gratification of having at least one student that seemed to retain everything I taught her, but it's also kind of exciting to get a new student.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no neighbors who have wireless you can pirate?

i have an internet issue too right now. actually a pc issue. the key of the letter between l and n is not working unless i pound on it really hard (and then only sporadically). so if i want to write anything, i either have to bang really hard on that key and get frustrated or figure out ways to say things without using that letter. which is definitely a challenge! it's kind of fun, for now, but i need to write a court report this weekend for work and i don't know how that is going to happen without the 18th letter in the alphabet!
-that redheaded girl who can't type her initials or log in

jenn said...

wow, it sucks that you can't even write your own name. i'm impressed that you were able to write such a long comment without using the letter m, though. there is actually a weak wireless signal that eugene is able to pirate from his computer, but my wireless card isn't powerful enough. if i get a new laptop, i might be able to get the wireless signal too, in which case all of my problems would be more or less solved.

Anonymous said...

!!!Sorry about both of your computer problems. That sounds frustrating. Jenn, glad to hear your work is going well, sounds really fulfilling. I was talking to a frined of mine from NY, and she told me about an economics job/internship at her work (a large bank where she does graphic design, I think). What you are doing sounds like a good fit for you. I'm not sure if you'd like a bank-type economics job, but I guess they are out there.

Blog Archive